Growing up, and even to this day, we very rarely fry anything. We always opt for baked instead of fried, mainly because of the smell that lingers in the house afterwards. It’s just a bonus that baking is a healthier alternative. Every now and then, I carve a few pieces of fried chicken, which I would have to seek out at a restaurant or a fast food joint.
For those that choose to bake instead of fry, there are many recipes for “faux fried chicken”, or “crispy baked ‘fried’ chicken, and I’m going to add one more recipe to the multitudes out there. Hope you all will like this one. Besides being baked, this recipe is also salt free.
- 1 pkg of chicken pieces (approx. 8-10 pieces, drumstick or thighs)
- 1 Tbsp Allspice
- 1 Tbsp Cardamom
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Ground White Pepper
- 1 Tbsp Ground Mexican Chilies
- 4 Tbsp Hot Sauce
- 4 oz Maple Syrup
- 1 L Buttermilk
- 8 Dried Bay Leaves
- 1/2 cup Flour
- 1 cup Cornflakes Crumbs
- 1/2 cup Paprika
- 1/2 cup Garlic Powder
- 1/2 cup Dried Oregano
- In a bowl, add all the ground dry marinade ingredients.
- Add the hot sauce and maple syrup, and mix.
- Break up the Bay Leaves and add to the mixture./li>
- Add the Buttermilk and mix.
- Soak the Chicken Pieces in the marinade and cover with plastic cling wrap.
- Store in refrigerator and let sit for 1-2 days.
- In a separate bowl, mix all the Batter ingredients.
- Dredge the Chicken Pieces in the batter.
- Put the breaded Chicken Pieces on an oven rack with pan.
- Pre-heat oven to 360 F.
- Put pan with breaded Chicken Pieces in the oven and cook for 60 minutes.